Friday, December 18, 2009

Thursday night's visit!

Hello! This is Melissa Van Cleve! Mrs. Van Cleve's daughter-in-law. Or as mom likes to say, daughter-in-love! I just want to share the incredible response Roy and I received last night while visiting mom. Yesterday morning I was running around doing some errands and came across a rack of beautiful scarves. I instantly thought of mom! Gracelyn (my daughter) helped me pick one out. We picked out a purple one b/c that is mom's favorite color. I decided to bring it with me up to the hospital to see if the nurses would allow her to keep it with her in bed. When we arrived we went in to see her for a few minutes and then went down to the cafeteria with the family. After dinner Roy and I went in to see her. I brought in the scarf in a bag. I took out the scarf and showed it to her and she had such a big smile on her face and a gleam in her eye! My heart was filled with joy and excitement to see such an incredible reaction. I touched it to her arm and cheek so she could feel how soft it was. Then I put it back in the bag and just had is setting on the edge of the bed. After a few minutes she lifted up her hand, with her "boxing glove" as we like to call it, and set in on the back and pulled closer to her and gave a big smile. I couldn't believe it! I was even more excited! So I took the scarf back out of the bag and held it up for her to see again. Then I draped it over her shoulder and arm and she shrugged up her shoulder and tilted her head to snuggle it. It was such an amazing feeling to see her do that! Roy took her hand out of her "boxing glove" so we could hold her hand. She held on tight! Every couple of minutes she would let go of our hands and grab onto the scarf. It's amazing that such small gestures can make such an incredible impact. Praise God!!!!!
While we were in there with mom, her and Roy would lock eyes for periods of time. At one time I said, "I think you two are reading each other's minds!" She looked up at me and grinned! 
At one point William came in and said (in a joking tone of voice) he thought Roy and I were wearing mom out and we should leave. At the time she was holding mine and Roy's hands and squeezed them harder, pulled us closer and gave William the look!!!! She definitely still has her sense of humor! And life with the Van Cleves wouldn't be the same if there wasn't a little teasing going on!
Thank you all for your prayers and support! It is well received and is making an incredible impact!


God Bless!
~Melissa Van Cleve

4 comments:

  1. I treasure your updates and look for one frequently throughout the day. As I read your recent postings outloud to my husband, I wept with awe and wonder. I know your mother is truly being blessed by your love and the spiritual strength you are imparted to everyone. Please tell your mother that I love her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a sweet story. Praise the Lord for His sunshine in our lives!

    :-J
    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Melissa - Everyone here at SSNW is pulling and praying for Roy's mom - She should get some flowers today from us - I hope that she can have them in her room and that they will bring you all some cheer. Tina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all! God bless!

    May He get all the Glory,
    Krista.

    ReplyDelete